Nicholas Gallagher – Making Twitter UI infrastructure
- Consistency scales
- Modules are working units and contain serverside code too
- OWNERS are maintained in an OWNERS file and own the module. They sign off (review) changes.
- Webdriver has an iOS driver
- Webpack module bundler
Optimizing web performance – Dave Olsen
A very interesting presentation with lots of practical information on web performance.
- Maximum time to load should be 5.4 sec
- Pagespeed Insights
- Recommends Grigorik’s course on Web Performance Optimization
- WebPageTest (excellent tool) supports Continous Integration
- Performance Budget
- Redbot.org reports caching
Animating SVGs with CSS and SMIL – Sara Soueidan
External stylesheet can be linked to in xml. This presentation was full of practical advices.
This is the web platform – Paul Kinlan
Appcache is dood -> service worker
Service workers can make browsers superflous in the end. Kinlan calls this The Headless web.
Learn by heart: https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/
Using agile to bake in accessibility – Meri Williams
- Offline and accessibility requirements should be stated in DoD
Choose your own JS adventure – Kyle Simpson
- Sweetjs.org macros in JS
- Tooling: see links in presentation
Scaling up and down: evolving your testing strategies – Pete Hunt
- Unit testing in prototype phase is too eraly and causes unnecessary overhead.
- Integration tests are a burden when a project is scaled up.
- Test image diffs.
- TDD does not work well when the UI is not definite.
Dream big. Think small – Petro Salema
- Hit statistics of RAF planes revealed the counter-intuitive world.
- M-pesa: money transfer with mobile phone
- Beeping: signaling with mobile without answering a call.